2008-08-10

Linux Tip o' the Day

Today was the monthly meeting of the Charleston SC, Linux User's Group. While people were talking, I took the initiative to configure something that's been bothering me for a while. Basically, I do not like the default settings for Gnome's clock applet. I want it to be displayed in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS format. With thanks to Juhaz from Freenode.##Gnome, I was able to do this. Basically, it involves configuring:

~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/clock_screen0/prefs/%gconf.xml


This is the XML configuration file for the clock. To change the way it appears, you need to adjust the following settings to the values listed below.


<entry name="format" mtime="1218398125" schema="/schemas/apps/clock_applet/prefs/format" type="string">
<stringvalue>custom</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="custom_format" mtime="1218398125" schema="/schemas/apps/clock_applet/prefs/custom_format" type="string">
<stringvalue<%Y-%m-%d %T</stringvalue>
</entry>

No comments: